Affiliate Note: Hi, friends! Just a a quick reminder - some of the links on this site are affiliate links, and so I may earn a little cash on qualifying orders. It doesn't cost you anything extra, and is a nice way to help support this site! I also want to point out that I don't promote products I haven't actually tried or products that I don't trust. :)
This is one of my favorite salads in the entire world, and it’s so, so easy to make! You basically toss together some fruit and kale and enjoy. I really enjoy how the avocado and grapefruit come together to make a delicious dressing.
I also love that it’s five minutes of prep work, and a really quick and easy vegan (relatively low carb) salad. Of course, grapefruit is a fruit, so it is much higher in carbs than the rest of this salad. Reducing the amount of grapefruit will, of course, reduce the carbohydrates. 🙂
Notes on Making Grapefruit, Kale & Avocado Salad:
- Supreming a grapefruit isn’t the easiest thing and involves a knife, so I usually just peel the fruit, and then peel the pith and membrane away from the fruit segments. It’s a little bit tedious, but worth it, since no one wants grapefruit pith in their salad!
- There is no dressing for this – the grapefruit and avocado combine to make a delicious dressing all on their own.
- If you let this sit in the fridge for a few hours before serving, the kale will soften, and the onion flavor will really permeate the veggies.
- This is really good with sunflower seeds sprinkled on top.
- I usually add this salad to a bunch of mixed greens, for more nutrition!
- The fat in the avocado will actually help your body to absorb some of the minerals and vitamins in the kale!
- Add more flavor by zesting a lime over the salad, and sprinkling some lime juice over everything. This will further tenderize the kale, and taste delicious!
- You can bring the carbs down to 8.5g net by adding in only half of the grapefruit.
- Replacing the avocado with the juice and zest of one lime brings the carbs down to 6.5g net per serving!